Skip to main content

Why giving birth soon makes me also contemplate the fragility of life

For some reason, deciding to have a baby, being pregnant, and now facing birth happening anytime between now and the end of August keeps making me think of the fragility of life and how close we are to death at any moment.

At first this seemed paradoxical to me; why would birth make me think of death?

However, they are connected in many ways.

Imagining myself going through the phases of parenthood makes it easier to imagine myself aging. I obviously would have aged even without having a child, yet I'm familiar with the rites of passage of childhood and how old parents typically are when their child graduates from high school, for example. The predictability of children's lives up until they are 18 or maybe even through college makes it easier to imagine the passage of time. It is strange to imagine myself being at their high school graduation with grey hair!

Also, the process of giving birth involves so much of the fluids of life - blood, tears, sweat - which also emphasizes the fragility of my own life. And the tiny body of a newborn also underlines what delicate machines human bodies are.

I think driving on the freeway is probably statistically more dangerous than giving birth, yet the kinds of risks that birth has for me and the baby seem more vivid since they aren't mediated by a box of metal around me. A car at least gives the illusion that it's protecting me, and I also have some measure of control over the risks; I have practiced driving for years, and I can choose to be extremely alert and cautious while driving. I obviously have no control over other drivers or weather and road conditions, yet it feels like I can do something to mitigate the risks. In birth, however, I feel there is almost nothing I can do to mitigate risks other than put myself in a hospital environment. I also cannot truly practice. Even having a dozen children still isn't much practice compared to the number of times I get in a car to drive.

Even if I could practice, I cannot choose the comfort, safety, and position of the baby as it comes out, have no control over how the placenta detaches, how my uterus shrinks and stops (or doesn't stop) bleeding, or any number of other factors. I can sort of influence a few of these in minor ways, but it's more influence rather than choice. Like I can exercise, stretch, try to have loose muscles and eat and sleep well, yet that's no guarantee of the baby being optimally positioned. On the other hand, my body is doing a lot of effective preparation for birth, and it's kind of amazing that I didn't have to choose any of its preparations. It just happens. I put food into my mouth and sleep, and my body does the rest.

Finally, there are so many more vivid implications for questions that used to be more musings for me, like, what is a soul? Did this baby's spirit really exist somewhere else? Is sort of fused to the baby yet, like Peter Pan's shadow?

Comments

  1. Loved reading your thoughts. For me, I feel two things some times. If I anticipate getting pregnant, it feels like I would embark on a chapter that won't end until old age- a new mini life within a life. But also- being in my mid thirties without kids, I feel like I'm in a strange post-life state. Because everything I was gearing up for on some level hasn't happened yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw this, Mallory! Thank you for sharing. I relate with both of those thoughts! It still feels like I'm in a post-life state in some circles since I'm way older than most of my community members with kids the same age as Henry. Preparing to be a young mother was a steady drumbeat during my teenage years and yeah, didn't happen until 15 years later, so it's like I geared up, got lost, created a different life, and now have a baby with wrinkles on my face and grey hairs and trying to combine that with the other life I created. I guess my 20's and job and friends are my other babies!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Healing

Anybody got the flu yet this year? One of you sneaky people must have skipped getting the flu, because I got it twice. Twice. But actually,  this year I don't really mind fevers. I don't know why, but I've not only gotten the flu twice but also had fevers after emotional crises; often it begins with some dream about being cleansed. Once, I dreamt that an intense elderly Japanese woman grabbed me by the throat, told me I was blind, and thrust my head into a pottery kiln. Then I woke up. With a fever. A good friend recently told me that often, when people go on a diet or a juice fast, they experience a "healing crisis"; their skin breaks out, they get a terrible headache, and generally feel like a piece of crap. Sometimes people feel like a healing crisis is some sort of punishment for trying to be healthy, and often they give up on the diet or fast because it seems like it's not working. But here's the paradox, which is actually not a paradox if you t

Teaching pinky fingers to march = hard

She held my wrist kindly with her gnarled, strong and soft fingers, and demanded, "Keep your pinkies straight! Straight! Straight! Straight!" to the beat of my pinky fingers striking the piano keys over and over. This bent-over woman in her nineties was asking so much focus and effort that the music in front of me swam through my tears of exasperation. Pinkies are just not meant to operate independently from their sisters, the ring fingers , I grumbled to myself. The pinky finger cannot simply strike a piano key, let alone rapidly switch with the ring finger repeatedly to make the piano's strings trill, like a little soldier banging his head against a flat piece of ivory. Over and over again. Banging their little heads. Speaking of which, I felt like banging my head against the piano's music stand. The bent-over woman in her nineties was Edith Reed, and she was not only a surprisingly intense piano teacher, but also woke up at 5 am every morning to walk five mil

Worst date awards

Welcome to my worst date awards! All of these happened a while ago, and my sister recently reminded me of them. Perhaps I blocked them from my memory. Note: If you happen to be featured in one of these worst dates, never fear! I actually still genuinely love all the people these stories are about, and in a strange way, these are some of the best dates I've had because they were so interesting and funny and awkward! And a lot of the awkwardness could have been avoided if I had been smarter. Let's all celebrate our weirdness! Yay! Cabela's During January one year, I had a terrible fever but for some reason was too scared to cancel a date. I thought it would seem "mean" or something (classic people-pleasing behavior). So this guy I barely knew picked me up, and told me he had a surprise date planned! Then he took me to Cabela's. I now know hunting sometimes actually helps promote the health of an ecosystem, but at the time, I was an extreme environmentalist