Skip to main content

The process of healing eczema from the inside out

My story
About four years ago, during a summer of intense stress, I found myself staring at a bowl full of yellow turmeric powder at 3 am. I was about to pour water into the powder, mix it into a paste, and spread it all over my hands and legs.

It all started out with getting eczema on the backs of my hands and the backs of my legs. The eczema began as annoying and quickly became unbearably itchy, to the point of keeping me up into the wee hours of the morning. The patches of itchy skin became inflamed and infected, eventually, like little maniacal monsters intent on driving me to the edge of insanity.

Which is where I found myself at 3 am this one night. This bright yellow turmeric paste was a last resort as an eczema treatment because although it works really, really well, it also permanently stains anything it touches. Skin, clothing, bed sheets, carpet. You name it, it's yellow. If you have ever stained your clothes with yellow Indian curry, it's because the food contains turmeric.

So anyway, on this swelteringly hot July night, I was sleep-deprived and itchy beyond imagination. I didn't care if this paste stained my entire BYU apartment yellow. Anything to get the itching to stop. I whipped my covers off, slid out of bed and padded quietly to the kitchen to dump a few tablespoons of yellow turmeric powder into a bowl. I mixed in a little water to make a paste, and then padded back to the bathroom, bowl of turmeric paste in hand. In the tiny bathroom, I stripped off my sweaty clothes and with a spoon, spread turmeric paste on my legs and wrapped both of my thighs in gauze. Then I spread more yellow paste on my hands before putting clean, white socks over them to make sure I didn't stain anything. The apartment was stiflingly hot, probably 85 to 90 degrees, and so I didn't put on anything else but my underwear.

After walking out of the bathroom in my underwear, white gauze legs and white sock hands, I felt wired and too awake to sleep, I decided to turn on a CD with a OneDirection song that my roommate and I had been laughing over a few days earlier: "That's What Makes You Beautiful." No one was home at my apartment, and I started singing along while dancing around and our blue-carpeted living room had ample room for said dancing. Thus, I'm pretty sure I was in the middle of a lunge accompanied by air-punches when I caught sight of myself in the full-length mirror that hung on the closet door. A scantily-clad mummy with sock-covered hands stared back at me. She had dark circles under her eyes and her sweaty wrappings were covered in yellow stains. Her disheveled hair pointed in AllDirections.

At the sight of myself looking so haggard, and hearing the song trail off with "...that's what makes you beautiful," a laugh started down in my barely-clothed belly and worked its way up into my chest. I laughed because eczema had brought me to the edge where tragedy meets comedy, and seeing myself in that state was liberating.

The solution
Here are the categories of things that have healed my eczema:

  1. Eliminating foods I am allergic to. It turns out that I'm allergic to nickel, salicylates, and histamines, and any foods that contain high levels of these chemicals aggravate my eczema. The only way I figured this out was a very strict allergy-elimination diet that took 3 months to fully complete. The list of foods I'm allergic to is long, and my friends feel bad about it, but I feel great about it because it means I have control over eczema! There are ways to train your body to let go of food allergies (NAET is an acupuncture treatment and in Germany, people take drops under their tongues). I'm not willing to put in the time and money right now for those treatments, and might do it later.
  2. Making sure my skin has all the necessary nutrients to rebuild itself and heal: I found that zinc oxide cream or zinc supplements (don't take on an empty stomach!!) and basically drinking a few tablespoons of flaxseed oil per day helped my skin heal. Making sure your Omega 3-6-9 fats are balanced does wonders for healing the skin. Most Americans are imbalanced and need more Omega 3 fats through fish and seeds.
  3. Living a low-stress life with plenty of sleep and happiness. Last year my eczema flared up again after I'd had a long bout of insomnia. Getting a sleeping medication and sleeping a ton magically healed my skin without any extra effort on my part.
  4. Going au natural with lotions, soaps, detergents, and household cleaners. The fragrance-free and natural stuff doesn't aggravate my skin. The really strong chemicals and soaps tend to dry my skin out and make it more susceptible to eczema.
  5. Keeping the inside of my body healthy with good nutrition, detoxing when needed, water, probiotics, and vitamins when needed. This helps overall health and immune system function.


Tons of people say that the right kinds of lotions and creams are what you need for eczema. They are helpful in a pinch and I use steroid creams to bring down the inflammation when I accidentally eat something I'm allergic to. For long-term solutions, however, it seems that for me, my skin responds when I do things to help my overall health improve from the list above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Healing

Anybody got the flu yet this year? One of you sneaky people must have skipped getting the flu, because I got it twice. Twice. But actually,  this year I don't really mind fevers. I don't know why, but I've not only gotten the flu twice but also had fevers after emotional crises; often it begins with some dream about being cleansed. Once, I dreamt that an intense elderly Japanese woman grabbed me by the throat, told me I was blind, and thrust my head into a pottery kiln. Then I woke up. With a fever. A good friend recently told me that often, when people go on a diet or a juice fast, they experience a "healing crisis"; their skin breaks out, they get a terrible headache, and generally feel like a piece of crap. Sometimes people feel like a healing crisis is some sort of punishment for trying to be healthy, and often they give up on the diet or fast because it seems like it's not working. But here's the paradox, which is actually not a paradox if you t

Teaching pinky fingers to march = hard

She held my wrist kindly with her gnarled, strong and soft fingers, and demanded, "Keep your pinkies straight! Straight! Straight! Straight!" to the beat of my pinky fingers striking the piano keys over and over. This bent-over woman in her nineties was asking so much focus and effort that the music in front of me swam through my tears of exasperation. Pinkies are just not meant to operate independently from their sisters, the ring fingers , I grumbled to myself. The pinky finger cannot simply strike a piano key, let alone rapidly switch with the ring finger repeatedly to make the piano's strings trill, like a little soldier banging his head against a flat piece of ivory. Over and over again. Banging their little heads. Speaking of which, I felt like banging my head against the piano's music stand. The bent-over woman in her nineties was Edith Reed, and she was not only a surprisingly intense piano teacher, but also woke up at 5 am every morning to walk five mil

Worst date awards

Welcome to my worst date awards! All of these happened a while ago, and my sister recently reminded me of them. Perhaps I blocked them from my memory. Note: If you happen to be featured in one of these worst dates, never fear! I actually still genuinely love all the people these stories are about, and in a strange way, these are some of the best dates I've had because they were so interesting and funny and awkward! And a lot of the awkwardness could have been avoided if I had been smarter. Let's all celebrate our weirdness! Yay! Cabela's During January one year, I had a terrible fever but for some reason was too scared to cancel a date. I thought it would seem "mean" or something (classic people-pleasing behavior). So this guy I barely knew picked me up, and told me he had a surprise date planned! Then he took me to Cabela's. I now know hunting sometimes actually helps promote the health of an ecosystem, but at the time, I was an extreme environmentalist