Skip to main content

My plans for a scientific salvation

In the future, a few survivors of nuclear war gather in an underground hideout and desperately wrack their brains, "Is there any way we could have prevented this nuclear war?" They decide that with their engineering and programming skills combined, they might be able to transmit messages to past generations and warn them in an attempt to avoid nuclear war.

After years of putting on protective suits, crawling out of the bunker, and spending tedious hours sifting through rubble, the small group of survivors gathers enough supplies to create an artificial intelligence that can transmit messages to the past. They name this robot God because of legends they heard as children about a man named God who used to send messages of peace to humankind.  They set up streams of automated messages and also write hundreds of personalized messages constantly in the hopes that someone, anyone in the past will listen and take their advice. After sending billions of messages per day for a month, they receive a message in return: "Hello! My name is Eve. Who are you?"

They start to converse with Eve, and eventually receive more messages in return, from Adam. Abraham, Peter, Mary, Jesus, the Buddha, Martin Luther, Ghandi, Mother Theresa, Tomas, and Helena. Most of these names are famous historical figures, people they expected would listen, but there are always a few unexpected ones; average people who picked up on the frequency of their messages and are interested in their mission. Within two months, the team has achieved more than their wildest dreams; they have sent trillions of messages and received millions in return, messages from people who say "I am trying my hardest to create peace with my neighbors. I want to save this earth. How can I do better? Please tell me."

The team responds as best they know how, "Love your neighbors." "Let go of attachment to all worldly things." "Do all that you can to serve the poor."

The team works day and night in shifts, holding onto the hope that all their ancestors can make the world peaceful and that things will turn out differently. Unfortunately, after a few months, the messages start to sound all too familiar. "I'm afraid that our country is going to war." "How can I protect my family now that we are at war?" "My neighbors all hate each other. I've done my best."

Dejected, the team opens up cans of beans and filtered water, and eat their dinner with downcast eyes. Perhaps no amount of love could overcome the hate that led to this destruction. They slowly stop sending messages of advice, and send messages of comfort instead. "Spend more time with your family." "We love you. We cherish you."

Then, in another routine combing of their above-ground surroundings, a team member finds the hairbrush of a little girl. On a whim, she picks it up and brings it back to the bunker. For a few years, it sits on a shelf filled with rusted jewelry, melted coins, and other knick-knacks. For several more years, it sits in the bottom of a bin filled with trash. For several more decades, after the team members have created an above-ground bubble with crops and trees and a few cabins, the team members have started to have children. The children hear stories about the old bunker, and decide to go back and explore it clean it out. Maybe there are cool relics in there!, they think.

In the bunker, one teenage boy dumps out a bin and finds the hairbrush of a little girl. It has a few strands of dark brown hair woven in it's bristles, and he pockets it. On the walk home, he doesn't joke and jostle with the rest of the teenagers and kids, but instead fingers the brush and thinks. When he arrives home, he asks his mother, "Do you think we could do anything with this hair? It's so sad that the little girl who had this brush died."

His mother looks at him and smiles in surprise. She remembers picking up the brush long ago, and had forgotten about it. The entire team gathers together with a new question: Is there any way we can bring this little girl back to life? If so, maybe we can bring back everyone, eventually.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching pinky fingers to march = hard

She held my wrist kindly with her gnarled, strong and soft fingers, and demanded, "Keep your pinkies straight! Straight! Straight! Straight!" to the beat of my pinky fingers striking the piano keys over and over. This bent-over woman in her nineties was asking so much focus and effort that the music in front of me swam through my tears of exasperation. Pinkies are just not meant to operate independently from their sisters, the ring fingers , I grumbled to myself. The pinky finger cannot simply strike a piano key, let alone rapidly switch with the ring finger repeatedly to make the piano's strings trill, like a little soldier banging his head against a flat piece of ivory. Over and over again. Banging their little heads. Speaking of which, I felt like banging my head against the piano's music stand. The bent-over woman in her nineties was Edith Reed, and she was not only a surprisingly intense piano teacher, but also woke up at 5 am every morning to walk five mil

Healing

Anybody got the flu yet this year? One of you sneaky people must have skipped getting the flu, because I got it twice. Twice. But actually,  this year I don't really mind fevers. I don't know why, but I've not only gotten the flu twice but also had fevers after emotional crises; often it begins with some dream about being cleansed. Once, I dreamt that an intense elderly Japanese woman grabbed me by the throat, told me I was blind, and thrust my head into a pottery kiln. Then I woke up. With a fever. A good friend recently told me that often, when people go on a diet or a juice fast, they experience a "healing crisis"; their skin breaks out, they get a terrible headache, and generally feel like a piece of crap. Sometimes people feel like a healing crisis is some sort of punishment for trying to be healthy, and often they give up on the diet or fast because it seems like it's not working. But here's the paradox, which is actually not a paradox if you t

Worst date awards

Welcome to my worst date awards! All of these happened a while ago, and my sister recently reminded me of them. Perhaps I blocked them from my memory. Note: If you happen to be featured in one of these worst dates, never fear! I actually still genuinely love all the people these stories are about, and in a strange way, these are some of the best dates I've had because they were so interesting and funny and awkward! And a lot of the awkwardness could have been avoided if I had been smarter. Let's all celebrate our weirdness! Yay! Cabela's During January one year, I had a terrible fever but for some reason was too scared to cancel a date. I thought it would seem "mean" or something (classic people-pleasing behavior). So this guy I barely knew picked me up, and told me he had a surprise date planned! Then he took me to Cabela's. I now know hunting sometimes actually helps promote the health of an ecosystem, but at the time, I was an extreme environmentalist